Friday 1 July 2011

To routine or not to routine, that is the question.

Hubby has made the suggestion that we should consider trying to get our son in to some sort of routine to try and encourage him to sleep longer. He is currently fed on demand and sleeps when he's tired, which while I am sure is all good for him, is not so good for mummy.

I kind of have the attitude of 'it's easier said than done’; not really relishing the hard work that it will likely take to get it to stick. However, once it is successful I will be much better for it.

I am going to give it a shot; hubby has suggested stretching him out longer during the day for his sleeps in the hopes that it will make him sleep better overnight. He still wakes every few hours (sometimes less on the odd occasion) during the night, thankfully we are co-sleeping so it makes it easier to feed him/get him back to sleep. Although I am not (and have not in a long time) getting a good night's sleep, so it is worth a shot to try something.

I am going to try and stretch him out gradually, he was getting tired after only being up for an hour to an hour and a half. So I will try and increase his awake time in half hour increments every nap time and see how it goes. I am doubtful that he will magically start sleeping longer straight away but hopefully it won't take too long to catch on.

I also want to attempt to move him in to his cot for overnight sleeps sometime soon, in the hope that it will allow me to be more comfortable for the intervals of sleep that I do get! For some reason our son, while always placed in the middle of the bed, tends to gravitate towards me/my side so that I only end up with a little sliver on the edge.

So I will leave it there for now and will report back on how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment