Friday 10 June 2011

Let's kick things off...

So where to begin? First of all, I am trying to get this done in the short window of opportunity while my 4 month old son sleeps! We are yet to master longer than one sleep cycle during the day and certainly haven't mastered sleeping through the night...but I am sure we will get to that.

I suppose I should begin by introducing myself. I am a first time mum, 30 years old and married to the love of my life. My husband and I have been together for 12 years and married for 4, it was this time last year as we were heading towards the big 3-0 that we took the plunge and decided to start our family.

We were living in London at the time and had been there for close to 4 years, we had made the choice to move back home to Australia to have the love and support of family and friends for the adventure that is parenthood.

I won't bore you with the details of the pregnancy (I had a fairly easy pregnancy, no morning sickness!), or the subsequent birth. God knows I don't have the time to go back and cover the last 4 months in detail. It has been a whirlwind, everyone tells you that they grow up so fast and it is so very true!

There are highs and lows, good days and bad but at the end of the day there is no greater gift than looking at my gorgeous son and listening to him babble baby speak, giggle and give me a big smile - it makes it all worth it.

Lately I have been struggling with the lack of adult interaction, whilst hubby is away at work we are often left to our own devices during the day and as much as I love my son, it can get a little lonely. I would even go so far as to say I miss working (I was good at my job and enjoyed it).

On the other hand, I am nowhere near ready to leave my baby in the hands of others. As it is, I haven't spent more than an hour away from him since he was born. It also makes it difficult as I am breastfeeding and he currently only lasts not even 3 hours before he'll start crying for a feed. We tried to introduce formula...disaster! He screws up his face and spits it out everywhere and starts getting a little hysterical, I guess he is a fan of the boob.

It was my husband who suggested I start a blog as he had recently started one of his own. I finally decided to take the plunge, I have no idea if I have anything of interest worth sharing. This could be therapeutic, a way for me to express my thoughts and feelings and get it all out.

So if anyone reads this, that is a bonus...and if you are reading this now, I hope you enjoy it! Experience this first year and the trials and tribulations ahead of mummyhood. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment